polyester resin gets cloudy

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Lynn Fagerstrom

Hi Katherine,
      I have been using epoxy and polyester resins for some time. I made several pendants, using Castin’ Craft polyester resin, I do a variety that incorporate pet ashes,pet fur and healing stones. I need a clear finish and don’t generally use pigment. I am finding that if they are worn under clothing next to the skin they cloud up, even after a four day cure and polish. I have tried polishing them with, auto rubbing compound, auto polish, and flitz polish. I even tried the Castin’ Craft spray sealer. I run through wet sanding from grit 220,320,400,600,800,1200,1500,2000,2500. Is there are harder resin that might work better? I have looked at the Crystal Clear resin family but I don’t want to have to get a heat/pressure chamber. I have been silver smithing and fusing glass for 20 years and this is just stumping me…
      Thanks!
      Lynn

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hmm. Something doesn’t sound right here. I’ve used polyester resin to make pendants and haven’t had this problem. Let me see what I can find out from the manufacturer.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Lynn,

I spoke with tech support at Castin’ Craft and they wanted to know if they are turning cloudy when only against the skin or if they all turn cloudy?

Chrisi

I have the same problem re the finished product being cloudy. Mine is from out of the silycon glossy mould cloudy in appearance. I tried sanding it down with my Dremel, polishing it, but it has hazy markings in the middle and remains cloudy. Am I doing something wrong?

Chrislene

Oops… This is with polyester resin

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • The topic ‘polyester resin gets cloudy’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube