Repairing a Cracked Resin Ornament

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      judfor

I have very limited knowledge of resin. I have a Santa Claus ornament made by my mother. I believe that it is resin. After looking at many possibilities I came across the faux stained glass project on this website. https://www.resinobsession.com/resin-tutorials/faux-stained-glass-diy/. The project seems to flow the resin into the different spaces. My ornament used a clear resin for the ground, broken bits of red for the hat, and cream bits for the beard. Areas of the hat and beard have broken away. I believe that the hat issue is from the tension of the polyester string hanger. A joint of the frame needs to be addressed.

Is it possible to remove the resin (clear and red) from the hat area and replace it with new clear resin and the red pieces? I would like to come up with another idea for the polyester string hanger.
      Thank you.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Judfor,

It’s unlikely you can remove the cracked resin as resin makes a very good glue. Can you go over it?

judfor

Katherine, what do you mean by “can you go over it?”

Katherine Swift
          Keymaster

Can you apply another layer of resin over the cracked pieces?

judfor

The piece has a layer of clear resin. Cracked resin pieces have been laid on top of it. I don’t think another layer is possible.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Repairing a Cracked Resin Ornament’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube