Resin bendable even after curing

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This question comes from Brandi:

We are cutting small shapes < 3" from embossing foil and pouring a layer of resin on both sides of the foil. Even when pouring both sides,the pieces still flex quite a bit so that if you make a sharp corner and drop the piece, the corner may dent, or if you accidentally put weight on it the wrong way, the piece could bend in half. Ideally we could pour only one side and it would still be stable. Thoughts? We are currently using an eco-friendly resin. That's a factor, but not necessarily a deal-breaker.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Brandi,

Unfortunately, some resins, even when fully cured, can be bendable when cast thin.

Have you considered casting these pieces in a mold? That will make a thicker cast that should be able to resist wear and tear.

Brandi Baldwin

Hi Katherine –

Thank you for your reply. Casting may be an option, but not ideal since each piece is different. I suppose we could standardize them…. Do you have a resin or can you recommend a resin that is a little more brittle, rather than flexible?

Brandi Baldwin

Thank you, Katherine.

Rebecca Putman

I bought the Resin Obsession super clear resin, and some Alumidust Gold (#33009) to make a casting. Have a silicone mold that I made. The mold is only 5/16″ deep. The resin cured, but it is soft and bendy, even weeks after I cast it. Where might I have gone wrong?

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Do you remember how much total resin you mixed at once?

Rebecca Putman

It was less than two ounces for each of the resin and hardener. Maybe it didn’t get hot enough?

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

As long as you mixed 15 ml total, it should cure without any problems.

Is your crafting area cool (temperature)?

Rebecca Putman

It was at the time; early January when it was pretty cold outside. Inside was probably around 68-69 degrees F.

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

That’s a little cool. Might be the problem.

Let me know how the ‘warmer’ pour goes.

Rebecca Putman

I’ll try it again now the weather is warmer. Like, mid-90s warmer. 8^O

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Resin bendable even after curing’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube