Resin diorama water effect

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      John Haigh

Hello – I built a round underwater diorama scene depicting the Creature from the Black Lagoon and I’d like to pour resin into it to create an underwater effect. I would estimate that the volume is under a gallon (I bought a gallon epoxy resin kit from a company called “America’s Best”). I was going to pour a sand/resin base first and then the water effect after the base cures. Someone told me that there could be an issue with heat using that much resin. I’ve also read that resin should be poured in layers. Any issues I should be concerned about

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi John,

This resin may or may not work for your project. It’s hard to say without knowing more details.

I recently did a video class on how to choose a resin that would be helpful to you in knowing the questions you need to ask about this resin to see if it will work for your diorama or not. You can watch the replay on this page: https://www.resinobsession.com/resin-frequently-asked-questions/resin-buying-guide/

John Haigh

Hi Katherine,
        Thanks for replying. I watched the first half of your video (will get to the 2nd half after work today). A lot of very helpful advice! The resin I bought says “Premium Epoxy Resin.” It says it’s a jewelry, craft, coating & casting resin. The round container I’m using is about 7 inches across and the pour would be about 7 inches deep. You mentioned in your video to not pour more than a 2 inch deep layer. Is that because of the heat that would be generated? I want to be sure and avoid lines between the layers. About how long should I wait between pours to make sure they don’t form lines?

Katherine Swift
          Keymaster

Hi John,

We recommend not pouring the Resin Obsession deep pour epoxy resin more than two inches at once because of the heat produced. It can cause your resin to heat up too quickly and crack. I don’t know about the resin you mention.

To minimize the lines between layers, pour the next layer once the previous layer has started to gel.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The topic ‘Resin diorama water effect’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube