Same Batch of Resin Cured Differently

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Jasmine Healey

Hi- this is my 1st post so I hope I don’t mess anything up. I used a 2 part epoxy called Amazing Clear Cast (is it ok to ask about a brand other than Resin Obsession? I saw some ?s where others did so I really hope it’s ok). Anyway, I’ve never ever had any issues w/ that kind before but the other day I mixed a batch (it was possibly 40 or 60mls, I think 40) & I measured both the resin & hardener out perfectly. I then mixed for close to 6 minutes as I always do to be safe. I filled 3 bookmark molds & w/ the same batch I filled 2 different bangle molds that had shell fragments inside. I’ve made several shell/resin bangles before & they were all fine prior to this. 2 of the bookmarks cured perfectly & the other is completely fine except that it’s a bit flexible, so I’m wondering if that could be from how thin I left it. One of my bangle molds is a bit thicker than the other. The resin in the thinner mold is almost good but very very slightly tacky & I can’t seem to get it out of the mold. Then the thicker bangle feels just a bit more tacky than the other & isn’t budging from that mold at all. I’m SO disappointed that I prob ruined my only bangle molds. I’m 1st wondering if anyone would know why/how some things cured perfectly while others, from the exact same batch, remain slightly tacky? Oh & my room was quite hot that night, and that’s where i store, mix & create w/ resin, in case that matters. I’m also wondering if, since the bangles are only a LITTLE tacky & not a sticky goopy mess, are there ANY tricks or advice you guys can offer so that i may get those bracelets out of the molds so they’re not completely ruined? Last thing- i do pop the bubbles w/ a tiny little butane torch. I do it very quickly & went over everything every 10 minutes w/ the torch for about the 1st 40 minutes after finishing. So even though I torched them as little as possible, & even though I do that w/ all my resin pieces that have turned out fine for years now, I can’t help but to wonder if maybe that had something to do w/ it? I’m sorry for the long post, it’s probably excessive. I’d just really love some help so that I can avoid this in the future & I’m really hoping I can get those 2 bracelets out of the bangle molds! Thank you so much. -Jasmine

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Jasmine,

Thinner layer resin pours will require more time to cure due to less heat being produced. If you wan keep the molds and your working area warm for a few extra days, that will help your resin cures.

As for sticky resin, there are a few different reasons for that. This article explains more: https://www.resinobsession.com/resin-frequently-asked-questions/why-is-my-resin-sticky/

The good news is that you can fix it. The article tells you how: https://www.resinobsession.com/resin-frequently-asked-questions/how-to-fix-sticky-resin/

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The topic ‘Same Batch of Resin Cured Differently’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube