Trapped bubbles under embedded object that takes most the mold.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Scott Andrew

I am trying to cast some vinyl records in resin for a gift. I cut the center and sand the edges. The following steps are done before casing in a coaster mold. Both sides need to be bubble free. Top’s are generally looking great its the bottom that are a bit of an issue.

1.) I use 3 coats of Mod Podge glossy on each side to seal the vinyl and label.
      2.) I pour a 1st coat oround 0.15″ deep and let it set for 4 hrs

I have tried a few things at this point when I go to embed.

* Insert the object and pour from the edges (doesn’t quite work since the objects are hollow in the middle and lay some what flat)
      * Pour ½ the next layer and press the records in to place (always seem to get a bubbles large or small like air being trapped).
      * Coat in resin and press into place.

I do wonder if the first coat is too wet and maybe need a more solid (5-6 cure?) base and then pour a thin layer. Maybe cast the vinyl in a ⅛” layer in another mold and let it set for the same 4-6 hours then embed? Will spraying alcohol before embedding help bubbles pop under the record? So maybe:

1. Pour a thin layer
      2. Spritz with alcohol
      3. Dip vinyl
      4. Insert vinyl (at extreme angle?)
      5. top off mold
      6. spritz.

One of the issue is the record is ⅞ of the mold size so there isn’t a huge amount of room for bubbles to escape out from underneath. One other idea is maybe to dome the first layer a bit so it’s not flat? Keeping mind the mold is 4.3 inches the record is close to 4.25 – 4.28 inches in diameter.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Scott,

Have you looked at this article: https://www.resinobsession.com/resin-frequently-asked-questions/resin-bubbles/

It should give you some ideas of things to try.

Scott Andrew

I have tried all that. I think the issue is how I am embedding the object in the 2nd layer. the first layer looks great before I embed no bubbles crystal clear. I have bought a space heater since we have not had a 70 degree day in a while. I preheat my resin, keep my room warm, pop bubbles and first level looks great.

The minute I embed the item the bubbles form underneath.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

It sounds like what you’re embedding is releasing bubbles.

Scott Andrew

I am. I have sealed the LP album but still getting bubbles trapped underneath. I am wondering if I should put some resin on the vinyl and let it get to the gel state too. I am stuck about how to stop bubbles from underneath. The other thought I had was to spray alcohol on the dipped object and a thin layer of resin to help the bubbles underneath. The top is great but I can control those bubbles.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Trapped bubbles under embedded object that takes most the mold.’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube