UV Resin

This topic contains 26 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  shauna 4 weeks, 1 day ago.

• Author

Joanne

I wanted to find out your thoughts on UV resin. Clearly (no pun intended), it cures much faster than 2part resin. Are there any downsides? I have read previous posts about Lisa Pavelka being very inconsistent but there are other ones from Japan and elsewhere that people seem to like. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

• #11244 Reply

Katherine Swift
    Keymaster

I have tried UV resin and did not like it. Here’s what I didn’t like:

1. Short shelf life. It doesn’t last long — maybe 6 months.
    2. It’s expensive. Compared to resin it’s much more expensive.
    3. You can only do it for thin pours. If all you want to do is pour bezels, it would be fine. Anything more than 1/8 of an inch and the UV resin won’t work well for your project.
    4. You may have to buy an expensive UV light to get it to cure. If you are in a sunny state (like we are) you can put your pieces outside to cure, but otherwise, a UV light is necessary, which can cost $40 and up.

I’m sure there are others who love the stuff. I would love to have them share why here. 🙂

• #16633 Reply

karen

No uv lamps are not expensive, I got mine for $ 20, and it was not the cheapest. Resins UV resists long, I have in necklace and earrings for 3 years. And especially it turns yellow less than other epoxy resins. And especially it is much faster, a day of drying if you have the proper place.

• #30888 Reply

Debbie

I recently purchased UV resin for quick fixes, never used it before. I have a small UV black light that does cure the resin perfectly except for pitting. I used a butane torch thinking it would pop any bubbles before curing, same as it does in two part resin but it burned the resin. A heat gun doesn’t do anything. Any ideas?

• #31855 Reply

Kimmie

Debbie, let it sit for about a few minutes before putting under the light….helps mine. I also do that with epoxy…..

• #31853 Reply

Kimmie

Hi, I haven’t used uv resin except for on keychains and it did fine. It didn’t self dome, which is what I was used to so it took a little getting used to, but once I did it was great! Dried in three minutes under a 36 watt uv lamp, which I paid alot less than $40 for…more like $11 and I got my uv resin from overseas so it was cheaper too……Personally I like the look of epoxy though, much better than the look of uv!

• #31854 Reply

Kimmie

Ohhh yes, I do agree though with Karen…epoxy does yellow after a while! UV does not.

• #32937 Reply

Rosetta Jenkins

Newbie here! Hi guys! Trying to get used to forum when I came across this thread. I have almost no experience with resin but want to make jewelry. I saw a video where someone used UV resin as a glue to adhere a bail to a resin piece. She also used a small flashlight UV torch thing to cure it in seconds. Is this a good use? TIA.

• #34211 Reply

Patricia

Newbie here…If I file the sharp edges off the top of my resin pendants, I get a thin white line. How do I make THAT glossy? Thanks ❤️

• #35085 Reply

Ariednne

I work with both epoxy and UV resin depending on the type of project.

I found UV resin works really well especially if you get the high quality brand from Japan. I use the brand Padico. Their latest product is called Star drop which is a UV-LED resin . The best thing about it is that it can also be cured by LED or UV lights.
    Pro: LED cure A LOT faster than UV, it can literally cure in seconds, so you don’t have to worry about frequent UV exposure. you can use a small LED tourch from local hardware store.

Cons: Curing with LED leaves an oily film on the surface of the resin that just stays there. But that can be easily fixed by simply wiping it off with tissue or put it under the UV light for a minute of two.
    And pricy compared to epoxy. But if you get the bigger bottle than it will be a lot more cost efficient.
    But sometimes you can’t put a price on time right?

I am not sure what kind of project you normally do but I say the UV resin is definitely worth a try.

Ps, I use it to make ear studs that are 6-8mm in thickness so they are not confined to project that are thin and flat. What I do is I put the mould (clear not opaque) directly on top of the LED tourch.

• #37723 Reply

Biw

Hello! I’m so happy to find this forum right here!😊
    I’ve been using UV resin to make flower pressed phone cases. I just want to know, is UV resin harmful to our health? Which one is safer to use, epoxy reain or UV resin?

Thank you!

• #51454 Reply

Donna

Hi all,

I was wondering I have silicone molds and clear silicone molds. I use clear for UV resin. Now, on the silicone ones I use regular resin, so I just for the heck of it used UV resin in the regular silicone molds like the colored ones you see yellow or purple. I was told by sellers not to use UV resin in the silicone molds, yea I did but nothing that I can see to the mold and the UV looked so much better than the regular silicone mold. Hmmm any thoughts on why I can not use UV resin with silicone mold?

Thank you all for your time,
    Helpless in PA :~)

• #67835 Reply

Rosetta Jenkins

Hi Donna!
      I am a newbie to UV resin. But if the mold is colored, UV cannot get to the bottom to cure. So, you will have a decent top, with no bottom that has cured. The clear silicone molds do work as I have tried them with UV resin. But as has been stated, thin layers. That can be quite time consuming.
      Hope this helps.

• #53981 Reply

Alenika

Can i use epoxy resin on uv light?

• #54072 Reply

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Alenika, unfortunately, a UV light will not do anything to help you cure epoxy resin.

• #55065 Reply

Jenann

Can you put a layer of UV resin over a cured Epoxy resin piece to bring back its shine? Will it work?

• #67837 Reply

Rosetta Jenkins

Hi Jenann!
      I have used UV resin to shine up some hearts made with 2 prt epoxy resin filled with glitter in a red mold meant for candy. I was experimenting. Lol. I was going to ditch them. But decided to see what they would look like with UV resin to dome and shine. It worked and I ended up making nice keychains as gifts. I added on all sorts of things to the hearts and then put UV over them.
      However, I was warned that UV resin will separate from epoxy in time. But then there have been others who say “Not true”.
      Hope this helps.

• #55440 Reply

Nutmeg

I was just wondering, I’ve never used UV resin before. Does it require a fully translucent mold? Or will it still cure with a silicone mold that has just the top open?

• #56870 Reply

Christiana Woodcock

Hi! I currently use UV resin as my main medium.

I have a craft room.
    I need more info on the safety precautions I should be taking.
    Skin contact? Breathing it in?

It’s not a well ventilated room. However there is a window right behind me.

Any tips or info on what I can do to stay safe?

• #56908 Reply

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Christina,

The best information on how to use UV resin is found in the product’s safety data sheet. The manufacturer should be able to provide you with one.

• #67840 Reply

Rosetta Jenkins

Katherine, you have brought up an excellent point. I won’t do a lot of UV resin because of the fumes that over time may prove toxic if a proper mask is not worn. This is MHO. The manufacturers if these resins are in Japan, China and info is most of the time written in the language is in the country. I wouldn’t even know how to reach out to them.
        So, I would err on the side of caution and if you works for any prolonged length of time with any of these resins, use proper precautions as Katherine has clearly outlined in her videos and online.

• #65219 Reply

Kathy Franco

I have a curved surface and was wondering about layering UV with 2 part on a curved project. Is there a reaction? Has anyone else given it a shot and have any feedback?

• #82319 Reply

Carie

I just started using uv resin for small projects like keychains and earrings. I am using a 36w uv light and curing for 2-3 minutes like bottle says. When I take the pieces out of the mold they are hard but tacky to the touch that it leaves finger prints. It also sometimes leaves rough swirling edges on the long crystal type molds. Any suggestions on how to avoid this?

• #82448 Reply

Whitney

Here are some tips that have worked for me:

For a tacky piece, I leave it out in the sun for a few minutes after curing with the lamp. If that doesn’t work, I leave it in a bright window the next day.

For the swirls, I believe it’s caused by uneven lighting. The resin shrinks slightly and pulls away from the sides of the mold. The side that hasn’t cured enough usually gets the marks. Make sure your piece is centered under your lamp and that all sides are getting light at the same time. I have a small mirror under my light for this reason too.

I hope that helps!

• #82475 Reply

shauna

I plan on using the sun or a led if flashlight for jewelry, is this safe? I dont want to get too much if exposure

Reply To: UV Resin
Your information: