Psychedelic Donut

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Jey

I am looking to make an art piece for a Burning Man camp, essentially a 3-foot psychedelic donut with an oil and water glaze reservoir.
      For the donut part, I bought the Resin Obsession doming resin to coat an inner tube with some brown resin die. I thought I could cut the top off a water bottle and use it to act as a fill area for my glaze reservoir. I wouldn’t completely cover the inner tube, as I’d want to remove the inner tube and insert led lights all around in the hollow cavity to backlight the psychedelic aspect of the donut: the glaze.
      With the reservoir “fill cap” pointing to the center of the donut and accessible via the back side, I would then aim to create the second piece, the glaze “reservoir.” I am not certain how to do this, as this needs to be a reservoir able to hold water.
      My thought was to create some sort of mold (material suggestions please) on top of the same inner tube, and use the doming resin to coat the top of this soon to be glaze. Then remove the mold, and then place this top part of the glaze onto the cured donut. Then continue to “weld” the two pieces together with the rest of my epoxy.
      Test the seal by filling up the reservoir with an oil and water dye.
      Can you see any problems with this strategy?
      If so, please advise.

I’ve been told the resin would melt my inner tube…really?
      For the mold for the glaze. I was envisioning some material similar to a stress ball: balloon with sand. but not sure how to use it for such a large surface area? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

In addition, I’d love to make the donut’s back epoxied to a steering wheel, so it can spin. I was talking to someone about this idea, and they seemed to think it would be too heavy to be on a steering wheel mounted vertically.
      What say the experienced artists here?
      –Yes, way too heavy for that application!
      –No way, spin on, you psychonaut!

• #184474 Reply
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Jey,

This sounds like a cool project!

I’m having a hard time envisioning all the pieces. Can you sketch out your ideas, then send it to us through the contact page? We’ll include it along with this post.

along with help 🙂

• #184713 Reply
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Drawing from Jey:
      donut sketch

• #184716 Reply
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Jey,

I’ve never tried anything like this. This is pretty cool.

Right away, I don’t know that resin will stick to the inner tube plastic. And if it does, it will be impossible to get the resin to ‘stop’ dripping where you want it to for the sides of your donut.

If it were me, here’s how I would try.

1. Use plastic sheeting (like a painting drop cloth) and draw my donut frosting template.
      2. Add mixed doming resin to within your template.
      3. Once it starts to cure, drape the plastic over your blown-up inner tube as a forming template.
      4. Let the resin completely cure.
      5. Remove the resin from the plastic and attach to your inner tube. You’ll need an adhesive specifically for this. Like inner tube patch glue?

Basically, you can form resin once it’s starting to cure. While this article isn’t exactly what you want to do, it’s similar and should give you ideas: https://www.resinobsession.com/resin-tutorials/how-to-shape-resin/

• #185033 Reply
      Jeremy Collins

Thank you so much Katherine.
      I was only looking to use the inner tube as a form, I do not want the resin to stick to it.

I am still unsure about the welding of the two pieces of cured resin to create a water tight reservoir. Do you see any problem with this?

Also, if I must heat the resin to remove bubbles, I suspect this could jeopardize my inner tube, thoughts on getting super clear resin with minimal heat to protect the donut structure?

• #185065 Reply
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Jey,

You can use more mixed resin to weld your two pieces of resin together. It makes a great glue too.

If you use a heat gun with resin and keep the heat moving, your inner tube should be fine.

This article shows how to use a heat gun: https://www.resinobsession.com/resin-frequently-asked-questions/heat-gun-for-resin/
      This article gives tips on how to avoid bubbles: https://www.resinobsession.com/resin-frequently-asked-questions/resin-bubbles/

• #185701 Reply
      Jey

I am struggling with the consistency of the resin especially as it rolls off the side of my inner tube. Do you have any suggestions on how to thicken the resin? I’d love more of a molasses consistency so I can coat the vertical side walls.

• #185835 Reply
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

You’re going to have to wait until closer to the end of the pot time. Wait to use the resin once it thickens more.

Viewing 7 reply threads
Reply To: Psychedelic Donut
Your information:

Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube