Resin and Mod Podge

Home Page Forums Resin Techniques Resin and Mod Podge

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This question comes from Sandy:

I just poured acrylic paint mixed with mod podge into shallow coasters. Maybe 1/8 inch thick. Does the mod podge need to be fully cured before resin can be poured over to seal and waterproof it, or can I pour the resin on as long as the layer of mod podge has hardened enough that is wont sink down or mix with the resin and upset the poured artwork layer?

• #12951 Reply
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Sandy,

The Mod Podge needs to be completely dry before pouring the resin, otherwise it will make the resin cloudy. Depending on the humidity where you live, this could take several days, especially if you used a lot of Mod Podge.

• #17905 Reply
      Veronica Arellano

I poured resin into a silicone mold for round clusters and used alcohol inks for design. Was wondering if after it cures can I spray Mod Podge over the coasters? Will it ruin them in the long run?

• #18503 Reply
        Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

I don’t know. I have never tried that.

Why do you want to spray Mod Podge on them? What are you trying to accomplish? Perhaps I can recommend an alternative.

• #82250 Reply
      Elizabeth

Hello,
      I am making round resin coasters. I am putting a layer of Mod Podge on the hardened resin and putting a coat of Mod Podge on the card stock paper and placing it on top of the resin. I also apply the layer of the Mod Podge on the back of the card stock and letting it dry before I apply another layer of resin. I used the matte finish for the Mod podge but I am noticing that my coasters are still coming out shiny on the picture side and I see streaks. What am I doing wrong?

• #82252 Reply
        Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

You may be seeing streaks from placing the Mod Podge on the resin. Have you tried it without that step?

• #82261 Reply
      Ayla Grady

hello, I’m just starting out using resin and epoxy to try to make little jewelry pieces with gemstones inside and they are coming out of the silicone molds looking cloudy,I was wondering if you think putting mod podge over it would help clear up some of that cloudy look?

• #82594 Reply
      Bernadette

I am making a table with pictures on it. I glued the pictures down but a few of the pictures are from magazines and the corners of the pictures didn’t stick down. My husband went ahead and put resin on top of them even though a few of the picture’s edges aren’t laying flat. So now I have a thin layer of resin on top of my pictures and the corners of three of the pictures are sticking up. How am I able to fix this?
      Thank you!
      Bernadette

• #82713 Reply
      Presley

hello, I am making an epoxy river table and sealed my pieces with mod podge before pouring my epoxy and I was wondering the epoxy will still stick to the wood and hold it together in the middle after being sealed with the mod podge.

• #83052 Reply
      Layna

I have some colored coloring pages I’m looking to decoupage onto some wooden coasters but then want to cover them in resin.

Can I use spray mod Podge to seal the decoupage then coat it with resin? Does the spray mod Podge act differently than the paste in relation to resin?

I’m using waterbased markers for the coloring pages and I’ve tried to seal them with the paste and it smears (coloring pages are completely dry) so I’d need to use spray.

• #83127 Reply
      Cheyenne Reams

Hello,
      I am using ceramic tiles and photo paper pictures to make coasters. I am glueing the photos down with Mod Podge and then waiting a few hours and then covering with art resin. But the edges keep coming up on the pictures. What am I doing wrong? Should I glue down with something other than mod podge ?

• #83131 Reply
        Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Hi Cheyenne,

That’s kinda strange! You might want to try longer for the Mod Podge to dry. I like to wait at least 12 hours before applying resin.

• #84004 Reply
      Fiona

Hello!
      I’m making a train diorama with a resin river and realized I have matte mod podge and not high gloss. I was hoping to use the mod podge to make ripples and realistic water effects but am concerned it will look muddy with the matte finish. Unless I order online and wait a month for a new bottle to come in, what would be the reccomended substitute or other process of getting similar effects? Thanks in advance!

• #84014 Reply
        Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Hi Fiona, what about using a little bit of colored resin to look like waves?

• #84015 Reply
      Fiona

Hi Katherine, could you explain further? I’m new to resin and still learning techniques.

• #84533 Reply
      Mikaela

Hi there, I am doing a project where I am making a picture table (printing photos and gluing them to a plastic trestle table). I was wondering if i covered my photos in decoupage glue first, will the resin stick to the glue or will it peel off?
      Thanks in advance!!

• #84657 Reply
      Ellow

Hi, I’m planning to try using resin for the first time, and the little earrings I want to make require glueing tiny stones to the inside of a resin cup. I’ll also be gluing a bead onto the stones. Would this be able to stick together with mod podge?

• #84928 Reply
      Kristen

Hi I am making a board with some pictures that I glued down with mod podge. I was planning on using a resin over it but I am wondering if I should do a layer of mod podge over the pictures before the resin? Or should I pour the resin straight on the photo prints? Any suggestions?

• #85614 Reply
      Madde

I made epoxy resin keychains but when I took them out they were flexible and bendable. Could I spray mod Podge on them to make them harder or would that not work? Any suggestions to make it harden?

• #85616 Reply
        Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Hi Madde,

I’m afraid Mod Podge isn’t going to make your resin charms any stronger.

It sounds like it could be the resin. Which brand are you using?

• #85623 Reply
      Madde

I am using easy cast clear casting epoxy by castin’craft

• #85673 Reply
      Bertha Barrientos

Hi
      I just epoxy a glitter tumbler but my glitter shifted a little can i re apply modhe podge over and redo it or do i have to strip the cup?

• #85678 Reply
        Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Hi Bertha,

I think trying Mod Podge is a good idea. You can always strip the cup if it doesn’t work.

Viewing 16 reply threads
Reply To: Resin and Mod Podge
Your information: