Trouble with applying resin to a tumbler

Resin jewelry making resin art supplies Forums Resin Troubleshooting Trouble with applying resin to a tumbler

This topic contains 11 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Shelby Handy 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Katherine Swift
    Keymaster

This question comes from Crystal:

I have recently purchased the Amazing Clear Cast Resin to clear coat my glitter tumblers. Ive been doing it for a while and when I do it on the actual glitter ones, they come out fine.

Recently I tried a different way to do the tumblers. I would spray paint them and then spray a iridescent glitter spray paint on it and then spray paint with glitter lock clear and regular clear and then I would add the Amazing Clear Cast.

But now I noticed on those, I would get hole-like spots in the tumblers as I am rotating it while drying. I don’t know why it’s doing that and I keep looking it up and can’t find answers. I thought you might be able to help. Please see picture below for reference.

• #9949 Reply

Katherine Swift
    Keymaster

Hi Crystal,

This happens when something changes the surface tension of the resin such that it doesn’t want to stay on the surface, but wants to ‘bunch up’ instead. I will see this in thin viscosity resins like the Resin Obsession super clear resin. The amazing clear cast is a thick, doming resin, so this should not happen, as you have found out in previous uses.

While I haven’t used the other products you mention, I suspect something in them in having a physical or chemical effect on the resin to cause the surface tension to change. Here are a couple of things you can try differently.

1. Rotate the tumblers at a slower speed.
    2. Coat them with another layer of a clear, acrylic based spray before applying resin. This is the one I suggest: https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/tools-and-supplies/products/castin-craft-gloss-resin-sealer-spray
    3. Go back to the old way of doing them. If your tumbler still feels bumpy or uneven after applying the first coat, you can apply a second one.

Let me know what works out for you!

• #35237 Reply

Jessica McClary

I am new to working with epoxy. I have tried 2 separate tumblers and both did the exact same thing after the first coat… after drying they’re not smooth, but rather wavy and dimply… is this normal after the first coat? Will it smooth out after the second coat or will it remain wavy and dimply?
    I am using amazing clear cast epoxy..

• #35330 Reply

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Unfortunately you will need to sand it smooth before applying a new coat. If it’s already bumpy, adding another coat may make that worse.

• #35378 Reply

Jessica McClary

If I sand it down will that make the first layer looked scuffed/ foggy looking after I apply the second layer? I have sanded it down some and then cleaned it really good first with water then went over it with alcohol and It’s no longer super shiny like it was before I sanded it….

Also what’s making it wavy and dimpled? What do I need to do to make sure the next tumbler doesn’t do the same thing….

• #54523 Reply

Latoya Lewis

I have recently began making tumblers with epoxy. Everything goes well until the final coat cures and I get bumps in the epoxy on the cup.

• #54993 Reply

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Latoya, it sounds like your cup and resin aren’t rotating long enough during curing.

• #63711 Reply

Shawna

The first 5 tumblers turned out perfect! Now I’m having the problem of applying epoxy and it shifts the glitter or absorbs into the glitter and pulls it off in chunks. Please helpppp!

• #80595 Reply

Lety

I dropped my cup and it made a dent on the bottom…it has about 3 layers of glitter then one coat of epoxy. The actual cup doesnt seem damaged. Is there any way to fix the dent?

• #81035 Reply

Lisa

I am having trouble with my epoxy being uneven on the bottom. One end will have more than the other making it wobble. Will I have to sand it and reapply the epoxy?

• #82238 Reply

Shelby Handy

I am having issues with my Epoxy pulling away from the top of my cup and when the cures It’s like a big bump at the bottom. My Turners are level I even put a support piece under the PVC pipe but it is still happening has anybody had this issue?

Reply To: Trouble with applying resin to a tumbler
Your information: