Type of Resin or Media to Use

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Melanie Vu

Hello!
      I’m having issues with thin resin pieces bending. I was making resin phone stands (3 mm thick) and discovered my epoxy resin stands bend when I stand it upright or place a phone on it; which defeats the purpose of the piece. I was wondering if there is a different type of resin/ pouring media I could use that will remain solid as a rock and will be clear?

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Some epoxy resins, even when fully cured, can be soft or bendy, especially if poured thin.

In your case, the Resin Obsession super clear resin will work well for what you want to do. It cures very hard and is great for thin pourings like this. You can buy it in several sizes in our store here: https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/resin/resin-obsession-super-clear-resin

Melanie Vu

Hello,
      I purchased the resin obsession super clear resin a week ago and used it for the first time today. I had a few problems though with the resin developing a clear film when I poured it into the mold and tried to imbed stickers and spangles. It also had a strange jelly like textured when I moved it around. What could be the problem?

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Hi Melanie,

I’m sorry to hear this happened to you. Can you tell me a little more about how you used it? Specifically:

1. How much you mixed at once.
        2. What else you mixed in with it.
        3. What you poured it into.

Melanie Vu

1. I mixed a ratio of 20ml to 10ml of the super clear resin slowly enough to prevent bubbles.

2. I used it without any additives like a liquid or powdered pigment. I embedded stickers and foiled glitter pieces.

3. I poured the resin into a silicone mold made from alumilite high strength 3 silicone (pink silicone).

Michelle Hetherington

Hi! What type of frame would you recommend for making a sea glass “window” with resin? I tried a floating frame, but all of the resin leaked out, so I guess the seams weren’t sealed well enough. Thank you!!

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Type of Resin or Media to Use’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube