Get The Truth About What Non Toxic Does and Doesn’t Mean

what does non toxic meanYou may have noticed that some resin supplies claim to be non-toxic. Is that even important? Like what does non toxic mean?

Non-toxic is a term established by the Federal Hazardous Substances Act. The Consumer Product and Safety Commission defines what are toxic substances and toxic situations.  A product is considered toxic if it can cause personal injury or illness to humans if it is inhaled, swallowed, or absorbed through the skin. Products are also considered toxic if they can cause long-term or chronic problems such as cancer or birth defects. If a product does not contain a known toxic chemical, it can be labeled as nontoxic.

Now that you’ve read all the legal jargon, let’s get real for a moment about the non-toxic label.

My opinion here. There a lot of retailers out there selling resin with a ‘non-toxic’ slogan on it.

Quite frankly, it doesn’t pass the ‘does this make sense?’ test.

❌ Does it make sense that a resin kit recommends wearing gloves and needing adequate ventilation if it is non-toxic?

❌ Does it make sense that you shouldn’t pour resin down a drain if it’s non-toxic?

❌ Does it make sense that you need to call poison control if you swallow resin if it’s non-toxic?

Yeah. It doesn’t make sense to me either. Do what you want with that information.

I know what I’m thinking…

There’s no way in HELL that resin is non toxic.

I’m guessing you weren’t expecting a store that sells resin to say something like that.  Well, as your resin fairy godmother, it’s my job to make sure you enjoy resin safely.

So why would a company tell you their product is non toxic if it isn’t true?

Now I’m really fired up.

Because either they’re unaware of the regulation above or they’re unwilling to comply. Either way, your safety isn’t worth it.  You need to assume any resin kit you use can cause hurt you if it isn’t used properly.

Kinda like automobiles, firearms, medicines.  Use them safely and everything will be just fine.  Use them in a reckless way and well…

So what can you do to protect yourself when resin crafting?

1. Protect your skin and eyes with safety gloves, safety glasses, and a protective apron.

2. Work in a well-ventilated area.  Airflow through a room will help to remove possible toxins.  Depending on the chemical, you may also need to work within the confines of a ventilated hood or wear a respirator.

3. Keep food out of your crafting area.  (This is a work area, not a cafeteria.)

This article on resin safety precautions gives you more help and advice on how to keep yourself safe when using resin.

Want more information about creating with resin, but frustrated with all the information you have to sort through?

It’s why I wrote the book Resin Fundamentals.  I’ve condensed 15 years of experience creating with resin into an easy-to-follow ebook. You’ll learn the important details to successfully and safely create with resin. Buy a copy now and get a download link to your email in minutes.

Unpublished Blog Posts of Resin Obsession, LLC © 2022 Resin Obsession, LLC

Like this post? You may be interested in  Resin Craft Safety Doesn't Have To Be Hard. Read These 11 Tips

6 thoughts on “Get The Truth About What Non Toxic Does and Doesn’t Mean

  1. 3.The MSDS tells you what the substance looks like (so you can make sure you have the right stuff) and also what picrauteons you should take to keep it from exploding, poisoning you or sucking your eyeballs out of your head.

  2. Has anyone else had an allergic reaction? I was working with Amazing resin and had no allergies/ When I switched to Envirotex, which I thought sounded too industrial to be for jewelry, I got itching all over my hands, and face and swollen eyes. If you got an allergy? Which brand was it and how did you recover? email me at ritaleevision@yahoo.com

    1. I would advise you to immediately stop working with resin and speak with your physician about your symptoms.

  3. hi everyone!
    I’m currently making Christmas ornaments using Smooth-cast 300 resin and coating it in Duraclear Matte to sell at craft fairs. I’m trying to figure out how to label them in regards to human safety. I’m told the resin is chemically inert when cured and the Duroclear is labelled as non-toxic. What designation can I give the ornaments would you say? They’re not food-safe, ie plastic spoons or straws but they’re not immediately toxic either. It would only be through prolonged exposure or ingestion that harm might occur. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

    1. Unfortunately, we cannot offer advice in this situation. My best suggestion would be to go to the Consumer Product Safety Commission (cpsc.gov) for their guidance on labeling.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

close

Wanna hang out? Cool. We love creative people.

Subscribe to blog updates10.2k
Follow on Facebook22.5k
Follow on Pinterest187.9k
Follow on Instagram15.7k
Follow on Youtube73.1k
Subscribe to forum updates