Applying resin to a Yeti cup

Home Page Forums How Can I…? Applying resin to a Yeti cup

Viewing 90 reply threads
  • Author
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This question comes through email by Melissa:

I am trying to learn how to glitter stainless steel tumblers. I applied epoxy over the glitter but it hardened and made a mess. I used a 5 min epoxy. Do you have any suggestions or tutorials for this

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

If you are looking for how to apply resin to a yeti cup, this tutorial will help:

https://www.resinobsession.com/resin-tutorials/how-to-glitter-and-resin-a-tumbler

how to resin a yeti cup

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Melissa,

You will want to use a doming resin. I would recommend the Alumilite Amazing Clear cast resin. It is a clear doming resin that is also considered FDA food safe once cured. http://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/resin/products/alumilite-amazing-clear-cast-epoxy-resin-16-ounces You will want to use a brush to apply it in a thin coat. http://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/tools-and-supplies/products/1-inch-wide-foam-polybrush-qty-3 You will likely have to throw the brush away once you are finished because it will be almost impossible to get out the resin in order to reuse it.

While you are applying the resin, you will need to prop up the surface to allow excess resin to drip off. This is a setup I like to use for bracelets: https://www.resinobsession.com/forums/topic/looking-for-tray-to-help-with-dripping-resin Dowel rods would probably work well in this case. Cover the ends with wax paper or masking tape (the end the cup sits on) otherwise, your cup may cure to your sticks. You will have to babysit your cup for the first hour after applying the resin to wipe off extra drips, but still plan on sanding excess drips once it has cured.

Plan on doing at least two coats to make sure everything looks even.

maria

I hear that the amazing clear cast yellows when in the sun. I was speaking with someone about this and they were not willing to share the name of the other fda approved epoxy resin they use. I have searched repeatedly online and am unable to find anything else to use. Any help please!!!!

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Hi Maria, unfortunately, all resins will yellow with time. Resins with UV inhibitors and stabilizers help extend the time before yellowing occurs. However, things such as mixing off ratio (even though it still can cure without tackiness), putting over an improperly cured lacquer, excessive heat, and or constant exposure to sunlight can speed up the yellowing process. How long the epoxy will last in its clear state is very difficult to predict. Being FDA approved sadly doesn’t make a difference either.

Marleny

Hey Maria! It’s unfortunate that the person wouldn’t share that information with you. While watching multiple Youtube tutorials on how to resin cups, I came across a lady who uses Art Resin and says that is doesn’t yellow like the Alumilite Amazing. The Art Resin however, is quite pricey compared to the Alumilite Amazing. I haven’t used it yet but it’s worth a shot. Here’s the Art Resin I found on Amazon, it may be cheaper from other sellers.
        htps://ww.amazon.com/ArtResin-Epoxy-Resin-Respirator-Needed/dp/B01BX6893Y/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=art+resin&qid=1573390397&sr=8-7

Erin mercado

I applied my epoxy over spray paint and glitter. Did a think coat the min the thicker. Turned the cup to allow it to settle for about an hour and woke up to a dried bumpy drip line. My first question is, is there a way to fix this and second how long do you turn the cup to avoid this? Also, it still looks good on the other sides but feels tacky. Help! Thank you.

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Hi Erin,

I would suggest going over your bumps with either sandpaper or a dremel tool with a sanding attachment. (Be sure to wear a particle mask as not to inhale the resin dust.) You can then recoat with another layer of resin.

To prevent this in the future, I would recommend regularly turning the cup a couple of hours past the pot time of the resin.

Kim

Hi Erin
          Put a paint stick in between two cans of paint( one can on top of the other.
          Slide your cup over the paint stick. Pour the resin a little down a line. Spread it with your finger. Repeat until the cup is fully covered. Then set your timer for 15 minutes. When time is up rotate the cup a compleat 180. Set the timer for another 15 minutes. Repeat for one hour. Then let sit on stick overnight. You should have a good smooth coat. You don’t need a lot of resin. I use a teaspoon of each then mix for five minutes. Hope it helps

Candice C

I applied two coats of glitter to a tumbler than applied2 coats of resin and now I have a ripple effect all over the tumbler. Anyway I could smooth these out?

Thank you!

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Since your resin is cured, you will need to sand off the high spots to even out the resin, then (likely) recoat. How did you apply the resin before?

Danielle Bailey

Using Amazing Clear Cast epoxy on stainless steel tumbler cups here. I mixed as equally as I know how to (two cups, same amount of each), mixed slowly for 2 minutes, let bubbles settled, applied on. Up to 48 hours later and there is still a light tackiness. It’s not indentable or impressionable, but it has a slight stickiness to it. Any tips or help?? Anything I can spray over it to remove/harden/cover the tackiness? Since they are cups, that are held, I don’t want them to have any tackiness.

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

How much total resin did you mix? What’s the temperature in your crafting area?

Esith

I am also interested in this question. My cup is still sticky after 48 hours of use. What can I do to fix it or spray so it won’t be sticky?

Diana Shaul

Why do I have dimples, my first coat was thin an I turned it very often the first few hours no dripping just lots of dimples second coat made it a little better but very noticeably what do I do to avoid it

Annie

Hi,
      Can you apply resin to a non-painted or glittered tumbler (stainless steel). I want to put decals on it and want to seal it with resin. They also now have the tumblers that come in different colors and I was thinking of getting one of those, putting the decal on it and then putting resin. Would that work? Worried the resin will not have anything to “stick” to? I guess to sum it up does the tumbler have to be painted or glittered to resin it?
      Thank you so much!

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Annie, yes, the resin should stick fine to the stainless steel surface. Make sure it is clean first (no grease, dirt, etc.) and it should do fine.

CHARITY

How do you prevent fisheye or dimples in the resin on tumblers. I also get small dots with a sharp tip. I use the amazing 2 part, mix equal parts, stir approx 5 min, let it sit until the bubbles are gone. I then brush it one. I’ve done thin, thick, and use my fingers also to spread. I can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong and it’s driving me crazy. Any help would be great! Thank you.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Are you turning the cup while the resin is curing?

vita

I applied epoxy to glitter tumbler and noticed I have a few pieces of glitter that are sticking up/out , will the 2nd coat fix this or what can I do?

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

By second coat, do you mean glue or resin?

vita

2nd coat of resin.

Laurs

I sand it to smother it out then a second coat. Just make sure you clean the cup to take off any residue before epoxy coat

Cassie

When you say you sand it what type of sand paper are you using?

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Yes, a second coat should help to cover up the glitter that is sticking out.

Wendy Raley

If I put epoxy over the glitter…how long do I have to wait before applying a decal and second coat of epoxy?

Katherine Swift
          Keymaster

The resin will need to completely cure. Cure times vary from resin to resin, but it’s likely 24 hours.

michele

how long it takes to cure the exposy so i can use it?

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

It depends on the resin you are using. Every resin is different, but the manufacturer should include somewhere in the package insert how long the resin needs for a full cure.

Angie

I am using the 2 part epoxy and turning my tumbler on a rotisserie and I am getting dimplesome in the epoxy. What am I doing wrong? Thanks!

Wendy Miller

I am having the same problem with the dimpling on the cups. I never did see a final explanation regarding why it does this and how I can prevent. I am using the Amazing 2 part expoxy, foam brush and stirring until no more streaks (about 5 min). Turning cup as I apply and doing thin coat. Thanks for help

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Sounds like you need a lighter coat. You probably want to brush it on like a glue, not necessarily a coating. You can apply another coating later if you want it thicker.

Dave

Do you wet sand the clear coat and what grit paper do you use

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

I don’t sand it unless there is a problem. If you start with a coarse grit, end with sandpaper 1000 grit or higher.

Melanie

I used the amazing clear case resin to seal my spray painted tumbler. This was 3 weeks ago. Today I left my tumbler in the car and when I returned to my car I noticed a bubble appeared when I touched the bubble it popped and I was able to peel off all of the resin. Any clue why this happened?

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

@Melanie,

I asked the manufacturer for their thoughts and this was their advice:

The paint was not likely dried completely before the epoxy was applied and outgassed causing the bubble. Please tell people DO not leave in car….too hot!

Kelly

I am applying the 2 part resin on glittered cups. I have noticed lots of small air bubbles. I am using a foam brush to apply and I have it on a rotisserie so there is constant rotation. Is there any way to avoid these tiny tiny air bubbles?

Katherine

@kelly

It sounds like you need to do a more careful job in mixing. The best way to remove bubbles is to avoid making them in the first place. Carefully mix your two parts together, but don’t whisk it.

Amber Marie

My epoxy never gets thicker when applying. It is very liquid & runs off tumbler making it hard to get a thick coating over glitter. I have stirred them both seperate as well as equal parts. Any tips? or any suggestion of a different epoxy to use? It was a brand new one. Since it is my first time, I am open to any suggestions.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

@Amber,

What kind/brand of resin are you using?

La Rhonda

I have a question. Am I able to use Easy Cast resin on glitter tumbler?

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Yes, but it’s not considered food safe once cured.

Lisa

I am thinking about putting glitter on a color tumbler then putting resin. Will it stick to a factory color. First cup I would be doing pointer welcome

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Lisa, I would expect it to do fine. We have a tutorial on how to do it here: https://www.resinobsession.com/resin-tutorials/how-to-glitter-and-resin-a-tumbler

Keesha

Hello, when I am applying Epoxy to a stainless steel Tumblr I am having ‘fish eyes’ appear in random areas. Is there a known reason why these happen or a way to stop them in the future?

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Keesha,

Fish eyes happen when the resin pulls away from the surface you are casting upon. Are you using a doming resin for your projects?

Keesha

Hi Katherine, I am not sure what a doming resin is. I have made two cups with resin, the first was a glitter cup so I know it has to be applied thicker, the other was painted and both had little “dimples or fish eyes” I know they say you can add another layer and it will fill it in, I just wanted to know what caused it so I can try to avoid that next time. 🙂

Shawna

I’m having trouble with my cups rippling. I put a thin layer of alumite resin then turn it slowly on my Turner for 8hr. It has ripples. I try to smooth it out with the 2nd coat after 48hr but only seems to make it worse. Can you help?

Stacey

I have this same issue everytime, can’t figure it out.

Katherine Swift
          Keymaster

How slowly are you turning it? I’m wondering if it might be going too slow.

Shawna

I applied a 2nd coat of resin to a cup and a couple hours before the 24hr cure mark I brought it with me in the car to bring to the person that purchased it. It started having bubbles on the outside and is sticky where the bubbles were. Can I fix this or is cup ruined?

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Shawna,

You might try applying thinner coats of resin to avoid the rippling. Thee brushes are what I like to use: https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/tools-and-supplies/products/2-inch-wide-foam-polybrush-qty-3

I’m afraid your other cup is ruined. It sounds like it got hot in your car. For future reference, I would recommend only giving cups to people after the resin has had a full seven day cure.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Keesha,

What kind/brand of resin are you using? You want to be sure it is a doming resin. These will mix thicker and have greater surface tension so it is more likely to stay on a curved surface. Resins with low surface tension can lead to the ‘fish eye’ effect you saw in your first layer because they want to pull away and stay in a thin layer.

Jill Sanders

I’ve applied the 2nd coat of resin to my glittered yeti cup… it has been drying for 2 days but still has a tacky feel to it?? Is there anyway to save it? It is for a gift so any help/suggestions would greatly be Appreciated

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

@Jill, it sounds like your resin either wasn’t measured correctly or mixed well enough. If it’s only ‘tape tacky’ I would cover it with another layer of resin.

Kerra

After my cup has dried, I noticed a few spots that seem rough unlike the rest of the cup which is smooth and glossy. I make them just as you have described above and was just wondering what is the cause of this? Is there a way to prevent this and how could I fix it? Would I just sand down and reapply epoxy?

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

@Kerra,

Are the drips on the underside of your cup? If so, it sounds like you need to keep rotating the cup for a little while longer to make sure it is gelled enough to cure in an even layer.

Yes, you can sand them down and recoat with another layer of resin. Make sure to end with a 1000 grit or higher sandpaper, otherwise, you may see the sanding marks underneath the new layer of resin.

Michelle

Can I use a black Ozark cup to apply glitter and resin or does it have to be a stainless cup?

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

A Black ozark cup should be fine. Make sure the surface is clean before starting.

Kristen

Hi, I’m using the amazing clear cast resin on my stainless steel cup, and i let it stay on the stand I have to finish drying after it was turned for quite some time. When I picked it up, I noticed I have hardened resin inside the top of my cup. How can I clean that up? There’s not a ton, but i would like to clean it out of there before drinking out of the cup.

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

The only way to get it out at this point is to sand it.

Mariah

Does the type of resin I use matter as far as the brand of it. I’ve been watching videos on YouTube and most people use Alumilite Amazing Clear Cast Epoxy resin, but I’ve also seen others use different brands such as Pro Marine Table Top Epoxy. It is to each is own?

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

I don’t have any experience with Pro Marine resin, but I have been happy with the Alumilite Amazing clear cast. I recommend people use it because it is considered FDA food safe after a seven day cure. The pro marine resin cannot make that claim. Since it’s possible you could lick the side of the cup (who hasn’t spilled some and done that??), I always use Alumilite Amazing clear cast.

Sar

How long do I need to wait between applications while using the Amazing Clear cast epoxy? I’m seeing some tutorials that say 3 hours and others that wait 24+ hours.
      The tumblers were spray painted, and then I put 2 coats of glitter. Waited 15 hours then applied first coat of epoxy. I’ve been rotating now for 90 minutes.

Thank you!!!

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Since you are using this as a coating, you can wait as long as you need to. At least 12 hours is sufficient as I would expect it to be beyond the gel stage and not sticky by this time.

Delana

I applied resin to a stainless steel tumbler that has not been painted or anything. I just put resin on it to seal the vinyl and now that it has dried there are bumps that look like part of the foam brush I used, that are all over it. What should I do?

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

If your resin has cured, the only way you can get it off is to sand it.

sarah f

I have applied resin to a few cups and had the same results. It’s still gritty – like it feels like the coat is too thin. anytime I’ve ever had used more resin, it still mostly drips off and I’m left with the grit.

I know (at least, think I know) that my resin prep is correct because I use these on coffee mugs and there is a slight pooling affect when the cup is upside down because of the lip on the bottom of a coffee cup. the pooling — flawless. smooth, no bubbles – and it has glitter on it too.

The facts: EasyCast® Clear Casting Epoxy is what I’m using, there is no cup rotisserie and I do my best to watch it. I use the pool-noodle/dowel method to hold it and then I have created a device to hold the dowl straight up for drying.

How do I get a nice thick coat? — thanks in advance!!

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

You are going to have to apply two coats.

Sarah

Sorry – yes – I have always done two coats. Any other ideas?

Monique

I want to do a few stainless steel cups but I have some questions.

#1 Has anyone used Envirotex Lite Pour-on high gloss finish for the stainless steel cups? It is what I currently have and works great for other things. Before wasting any I thought I would ask If anyone has used it specifically for this purpose.

#2 I would like to do an ombré effect of two or three colors. Any ideas on the best way to do this using spray paint & which spray paint would be best? Also, any guidance or suggestions on keeping the lines straight while turning & spraying?

Any advice, guidance or suggestions would be very helpful. At this point I do not plan to use glitter, if I did use glitter I would use the rustoleum spray paint/glitter, probably the silver and just spritz it lightly here & there.

Please help me with the best, most efficient way to manage this.

Thank you!

Warmest regards…

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Envirotex Lite will work for this, but know it doesn’t have a food safe designation. Unfortunately, I don’t have any spray paint experience to help you with making an ombre effect.

Matt

I recently hydro dipped some tumblers and used Envirotex Lite to seal them. It works just like any other type of varnish but one thing I learned yesterday is that it causes the cups to heat up when they are in the sun. I did a glitter cup for my wife using the standard vinyl stencil, paint and glitter then seal. She was at the pool and noticed her beverage was incredibly hot. She poured it out and felt the inside of the cup which was literally too hot to touch. The tumbler worked as it was supposed to prior to paint and sealer.

Monique

Thank you, Katherine!

If the epoxy resin isn’t going inside the cup it should be ok, shouldn’t it (if I’m just taking the resin to the top)?

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Yes. The only reason I caution you here is that I think people assume that if it’s safe to drink from the inside of the cup, it must be safe to lick the outside of the cup as well (like if something spills down the side).

toni

Is it ok to use Famowood Glaze Coat over painted tumblers? I did a swirl effect and want to finish it off with the resin… husband says it would be infinitely easier to just clear coat them with Krylon Clear. Suggestions?

Thank you!

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

You can use Famowood like any other doming resin meant for coating tumblers. Resin will give a thicker, glossier coating as compared to spray coatings.

Nick

Hello,

I’m kind of a newbie here, have made 10 personalized cups over the last couple months. I spray paint over stencil vinyl then apply Rust-Oleum rattle can Glitter, then remove the vinyl, and finish with Alumilite Amazing Clear Cast epoxy resin brushed on with a 1″ foam brush. The very first cup I finished with this process came out smooth as glass, but the next 7 I did, after drying, the clear cast had dimples all over. I recently invested in a rotisserie, as I have read where others apply the clear cast with the cup rotating. I applied the clear cast to a cup this weekend with it on the rotisserie, but still have the dimples all over, I then tried to apply a second coat over the first, thinking the 2nd coat would fill in the low spots, with no luck. I didn’t sand the first coat, as I was unsure if you can sand clear cast resin. Any suggestions as to why I’m getting these dimples? Side Note: After painting and glitter coating the cups I let them dry for 48+ hours before applying clear coat.

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Hi Nick,

Yes, you can sand the amazing clear cast resin once it’s cured. End with a 1000 grit or higher sandpaper, otherwise, you will see sanding marks underneath your next layer of resin.

Dimples are caused when the resin pulls away from the surface. In your case, it could be a couple of things:

1. There is something oily on the surface that is keeping the resin from adhering to it.
        2. The surface is uneven. Yes, even something as slight as a raised vinyl letter can do this.

If you can sand your first layer of resin and get it even, your second layer should go on smooth.

Nick

Awesome! Thank you Katherine for the advice! I will try that and see how it goes!

Megan

Ok so I got a glitter dipped yeti cup and when it got here It was gorgeous but when I try to set it on the table it’s wobbles and I’m scared to put anything in it.. I tried to see about sending it back the lady was more than willing to fix it but the shipping is insanely expensive. Is there anything I can do? Willl sanding fix it and would I have to coat it again if I sanded it down? Or will I ruin it? I’m sorry but my daughter keeps wanting me to use it and I just don’t know what to do she thinks I don’t like it and I keep saying I love it I’m just worried about knocking it over. I need help.

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

I would try sanding off the bottom. No one is going to see it. *wink*

Start with a coarse wet/dry sandpaper (~ 400 grit) and work you way down until you get a finish you like.

Shawn Green

I’ve read the post in detail above but I am left with a few questions…
      I haven’t had an issue applying Amazing Resin to my painted cups but I am having a terrible time with fish eyes and ripples on the pre colored stainless steel Ozark tumblers. If I’m cleaning cup with alcohol, applying at a temp between 70-80 degrees F, and turning on a rotisserie should I apply a thin coat or thick enough to drip excess off as it turns? If I have thick ripples and fish eyes, can I sand and reapply a thin coat to fix the areas? I’ve become super frustrated recently whereas before I never had an issue. (Another difference is….before, I was in Missouri and I am now in Arizona)

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

I like to use a foam brush to apply resin to tumblers. It generally makes for a thin coat.

You can sand the resin and reapply if you get fish eyes.

The Alumilite Amazing clear cast resin is a doming resin and works well for coating cups. Since you are having fish eyes, I’m wondering if there is a protective coating on the colored cups that is acting like a resist. Maybe try sanding the surface with a fine grit sandpaper (1000 or higher) to take off the outer coating of the cup before applying resin the next time.

Diane Vick

I currently have my first tumbler spinning. I believe my biggest mistake was that the tumbler is so much on both ends of the applied fabric with mod podge and epoxy. I tried to clean it as I applied, but it is definitely messy. Any suggestions for how to fix this one and how to prevent future messiness?

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

I’m not sure what’s going on. You applied too much Mod Podge or epoxy?

Jody Gutknecht

Hi, So Ive glitted my stainless steele cups with modge podge,and let that dry for over 24 hours. I then used Amazing Glaze, equal parts, for the resin coat. Ive noticed its not smooth completely, there are points in some places. Can this be fixed?

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Try adding another coat of resin. That should smooth things out.

Hannah Powell

I just applied resin to my tumbler. I didn’t realize I was supposed to use extra fine glitter. If I sand it before I do the next coat of resin will it be okay? Or will it never be smooth?

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

You can sand it, but I would probably apply a second layer of resin instead. It may not be as sparkly if you sand it first.

Mandi

I am having a problem while doing my second coat of epoxy on my cups. The vinyl on the cups startsto fold up and unstick off the cup and wont stay down. Any way on how to fix this?

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

It sounds like you need a stronger adhesive to keep the vinyl down. Try to re-adhere, let fully dry, then apply another layer of resin.

Katelyn

I’ve started a business selling spray painted/glitter tumblers and I use the Alumilite Clear Casting Resin to seal them.

I currently don’t have a cup turner and not enough space to allow multiple cups to lay horizontally while curing. So I actually have it set up where they are vertical after I apply epoxy and that way I’m able to do more than one at a time and not have to worry about rotating every few minutes.

The issue I keep running into is I get bumps that look like dust particles all over the cups as they are curing. I do my best to keep my work area clean, I have tried using foam brushes as well as a gloved finger to apply, I am careful to use two equal parts and I always stir slowly for 5 minutes until there are no more swirls. I do use a heating gun for any bubbles and am able to pick off any particles I see with a toothpick before the end of the work life, but I still find it cured with tiny bumps all over and it’s frustrating. Especially when I am able to get the occasional perfectly cured cup in the same sitting, but the others are bumpy. Any advice?

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

It sounds like you need to find a way to cover your cups while they are curing. Large plastic storage containers work well.

Katelyn

I’ll try that. Thank you!

Rose

Hello there! I have a quick question. I used the amazing glaze but I mixed it in a bowl and while putting it on my tumblers, it started turning white! I was shocked by this. I thought it was supposed to be clear. Why did that happen? Is there something I did wrong. Also the mixture in the bowl turned hard and took the shape of the bowl and I couldn’t use it. Do I have the right thing? Did I apply it correctly?

Melissa

I am having an issue with my cups not wanting to stay on the turner
      After I have but epoxy on them do you have any suggestions on how I can get them to stay on. It is getting really frustrating

Chasity

I put the cup on the turner which has a foam noodle. I put the epoxy on and when it dries it dries to the foam and pulls my paint and epoxy off. How can i prevent this? Thanks!

Robin Haywood

Hi can you tell me how long should my tumbler stay on the turner after resin is placed on? Also I made my turner and wanted to know is there a certain speed it should spin at? Mine seems to spin just a tad bit faster than the ones I see on videos.

Karen Maas

First try at creating these tumblers. We (my daughter and I) applied glitter- some with spray adhesive and some with mod podge. We then applied 4 coats of food safe amazing clear cast resin. We waited 4 hours between each coat as direction suggested. The glitter is still very rough. What can we do to fix it? I assume sand it- but it can we sand it enough to smooth glitter? What did we do wrong? 9r could do differently?

Christi

I have applied my glitter and my second coat of resin. I did the first coat kindof thin. This one I did kindof thick….how long should I wait to pull my tape off the bottom ring of the tumbler?

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Wait until your resin has soft cured. That time depends on the resin you are using.

Shae

I’m having problems with dimples and fish eyes! Too much epoxy or not enough? I also use a handheld torch. Some cups are a hit and some or a miss. How can I get some consistency? Thinner coats?

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Hi Shae,

Fish eyes in resin in this case is either because the resin is too thin or the cup is not rotated enough, allowing the resin to pull away.

Katie

Hi, I am new to making these cups and I spray painted a couple cups then applied the epoxy, they all went well but now I noticed there’s a little spray paint on the inside of the cups. I want to remove it, however, I don’t want to sand the cup because I’m not sure that would be safe to drink out of after the metal has been sanded…do you have any suggestions on a safe way to remove the overspray in my cup?

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

I’m afraid I don’t.

Tammy

Try a little nail polish remover, or alcohol

terri french

nail polish remover should remove spray paint. when i make my woodgrain/geode stuff.. whether i start with a metal cup, or a wooden bowl, after i put my first coat of resin & glitter, (or chopped dichroic film), i take them outside, and i put 2-3 coats of spray paint on them, and to reveal the 1st coat of resin w the glitter, i use nail polish remover, and it takes all the spray paint off. if you use a glossy spray paint, there may be spots that arent crystal clear, but once the last coat of resin goes on, it clears it up. hope this helps!

Rachael

After applying resin, my cups seems bumpy. Like the glitter is lifted off. What can I do to smooth out cup

rachael

After resin dried and sat for 48hrs, it seemed to peel right off cup. what’s going on?

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

It sounds like whatever you applied the resin to acted like a mold release. What was on the surface of your cup?

rachael

it was applied to a Magellan stainless steel tumbler. did mod podge, glitter, mod podge glitter technique

Britt

Hi, so I’ve been making epoxy tumblers for about a year and haven’t really had any issues. Starting ten days ago my cups are bubbling and I can not for the life of me figure out what is going on. My method, application and materials have not changed. I’m applying MP to the cup, then applying the fabric. There are 3 more coats of MP to seal the fabric, drying in between coats. The next day I do the first layer of Allumilite and after it’s spread I grab my heat gun. After a few rotations I see a bubble forming, from under the fabric itself. The epoxy is not soaking into the fabric, and the bubble only appears when the heat is on it (because air expands when warm I get that) but there’s no indication prior to that there’s a problem. My cups are not tacky after the glue applications. My environment is 75-80 on a regular basis. Ive stripped the cups and you can see that there was MP there but for some reason I keep getting these bubbles. 10 of the last 13 I have made have done this but not one happened in the last year.

Any ideas? I’m in tears trying to figure out what is going on.

Tina

Hi. I just started making tumblers. My issue is pooling or big solid resin bubbles. I have a cuptisserie so it turns constantly. Not sure how to fix this.

Debbie WHITE

I did my first glitter cup and after adding epoxy its rough and lumpy can I fix it?

Stacey

I have a question, After i cleaned my cup and did two coats of glitter and one of epoxy, it all peeled off, what could be the reason for this… it cured for over a week, and i placed it in a cool location in the house.

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Something in the last layer before applying the epoxy acted as a mold release.

June Hammond

Is it possible to change the color of a yeti cup that was purchased already powder coated or painted if you don’t like the color. If so is it a good idea to do so. Or is it more trouble and expensive than it’s worth. I should add that I asking as in do it yourself at home when you’ve never done anything like this before.
      If it is an okay idea where would you go to find instructions on how to do it. Thank you in advance for your help.

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Hi June,

You can try sanding off the powder coating, but that seems like a lot of work to me.

Have you thought about getting a blank one for your project?

Staci

Okay, so I have a question about something I have noticed in many videos for diy glitter cups. I see a lot of people use a motorised cuptisserie. Is it required so your epoxy doesnt drip and create bumps while it dries. Many people keep them for rotating for 24hrs (each time epoxy is used). I feel that if I hook up a motorised cuptisserie, it will move faster than if I was doing it by had for the glittering and epoxy applying process. Also, I can not keep a motorised system running all night, just in case something would happen in the night.

Sara

I glittered and did two coats of epoxy. I sanded it down between the coats. Now my Tumbler is smooth but it’s not even or it’s not completely straight on each side but I turned and rub the epoxy on how do I fix this

Travis Lucas

Anyone ever have black glitter or any color melt when applying epoxy to it. We’ve done several cups and just did three black glitters. After the epoxy it looks like a hard raisen or dried tar. No glitter at all now just dull and lumpy.

Stephanie

Hello!

I’m working on my first cup! I spray painted it, did 2 coats of mod podge and glitter (top fine and bottom chunky) and 1 coat of Aluminite resin. The cup looked great. Then I sanded the chunky glitter down and a bit up top. I thought I was supposed to do the whole cup! Aaagh. Now it looks like crap. I didn’t use the 1000 grit sandpaper, I didn’t realize I needed that fine. If I get that can I go over and fix what I’ve already done, or just have to start over?!

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

I think it’s worth a try with the finer grit sandpaper instead of starting over.

Sandra

I spray painted a stainless steel cup, applied a vinyl sticker to it and applied one coat of amazing clear resin. How many coats do I need to apply? Is one enough?

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

One is enough if you got it as thick as you hoped.

Amber Johnson

Hi, first time applying epoxy to a tumbler, almost everything went perfect but one spot about the size of a nickel is still tacky and soft but the rest hardened correctly and super smooth. Is there a way to fix this without scraping off and re applying?

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Hi Amber, if it’s just a little sticky, you can reapply another layer of resin without scraping off the old stuff.

Amber Johnson

Is there a way to speed up dry time? Maybe a hair dryer or heat gun?

Linsey Hardy

Do I applied my second coat of export but it’s not thick like smooth it’s a thin coat. How to I make it thicker? Should I do a third coat ?

Linsey Hardy

Epoxy*

Linsey Hardy

Do I applied my second coat of export but it’s not thick like smooth it’s a thin coat. How to I make it thicker? Should I do a third coat ?

Veronica

Hello, I am new to epoxy resin on tumblers. I sand my stainless steel tumblers before I apply mod podge and glitter or epoxy resin and glitter. But what about the colored yetis with the duracoat? Do you need to sand that?

Alyssa

Hello, when applying epoxy my cups are coming out very smooth and 3ven. Except for the top of the tumbler. For some reason the epoxy coats do not stay at the top but works itself down about 1/8 inch. I have these on a tumbler turner. I use alumilite clear coat eopxy. Cant figure this out. Anyone else have the same problem? Please help if so

Stella Angelo

I accidentally touched my epoxy coat while taking it off of my rotator and it left a smudge mark. Would you just wet sand and reapply another coat? I already did 2 coats, that’s usually all I do.

Nichole Carstensen

If I use the UV casting resin on my cups to seal the glitter then apply a last layer of FDA approved resin will they still be safe to drink from?

Debi Johnson

I am new to resin and applying it to tumblers- it just came into my area and I want to give it a try but I have a few concerns.
      I have a new Yeti cup that is already colored by the manufacture and want to use white vinyl cut outs on it. Can you resign over the top of it?

I have seen on other sites where people say to use a tumbler turner to allow for even coating and not sure which one to purchase. Do you have any suggestions?
      Thank you for your quick response!

Amber Baum

I have not done tumblers, but I have used resin many times to seal the outside of glass jars that I have decorated with alcohol inks (Very large jars and vases down to very small “Oui” jars). I use some jars for counter top food storage (sugar, flour, coffee, etc), while I use the small “Oui” jars in any room for holding random objects (Q-tips, cotton balls, pocket change, jewelry). Anyways, I have two different cuptisseries, or tumbler turners, whatever you’d like to call them. I absolutely love both of them. One is the “Milefo Cup Turner” and the other is from Etsy and is labeled as “READY TO SHIP Cup Turner Fully Assembled/Cuptisserie Epoxy Glitter Tumbler Mug Spinner”. They have totally changed the “resin game” for me. They’re fairly cheap, but worth their weight in gold!!!

Jen

I’ve been making tumblers but my epoxy keeps popping at the bottom and makes a ring. Amy suggestions on how to fix it?

Reva Richardson

Hello,
      I am wondering is there away to speed up the drying time for epoxy on a tumbler like using a heat gun or something? I left mine turning for and hour but then it dripped down in the night and left to ugly spots.

JAimee

When doing epoxy on top of glitter I’ve been getting uneven and rough spots. Especially towards the top rim of the cup. Any suggestions? The tumbler is constantly turning on a tumbler turner only have this issue with glitter. Do you think I’d be able to spray it with a clear spray paint before layering epoxy?

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Hi JAime, are you using painter’s tape on the edges of your cup? If you aren’t, you can try that, then dome resin over the tape. Peel off the tape once the resin has started to cure.

Iyonna

Hey the issues I’m having is when making my wine glasses the epoxy sifts the glitter down the cup and recommendations for this?

Viewing 90 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Applying resin to a Yeti cup’ is closed to new replies.