When I first spotted these book cover molds, my noggin started to race with ideas. I can think of tons of objects to encapsulate into resin — maybe leaves, sand, shells, photos, keepsakes, fabric, or metal bits. I mean, the sky is the limit. I’m not surprised I made more than one book cover for this project. I bet if you give it a try, you too will end up with your very own collection of handmade books.
Book Cover Ideas #1
–Resin Obsession Opaque Resin Dyes Orange, Magenta, Green, Teal
–Resin Obsession crystal doming resin
–Measuring Cups and Stirring Sticks
-Clear Computer Grafix
1. Place wax paper on your work surface.
2. Measure out two equal parts of Alumilite amazing casting resin. Add Resin Dye to part A, mix thoroughly and then add part B and mix. Pour into the mold in small amounts and move around with a Popsicle stick. Do the same with other dye colors. Let cure for 15 minutes. Then, remove from the mold.
3. Print an image onto Computer Grafix and cut it out. Remove the backing and place it on the cover.
4. Mix up two equal parts of crystal doming resin and pour it over the entire cover. Add Confetti stars. Cure for 24 hours.
Book Cover Ideas #2
1. Find a focal piece to make the highlight of your cover. You can embed anything into the resin. I used a resin piece I created a long time ago.
2. Mix up a batch of super clear resin and add red glitter.
3. Pour some glitter resin into the mold, then add your focal point item. Add the remainder of the resin and let cure for 24 hours.
Book Cover Ideas #3
1. Fit crayons into the mold.
2. Mix a batch of super clear resin and pour over the crayons.
3. Add glitter and let cure 24 hours.
Book Cover Ideas #4
–Small Book Mold 9 ½cm x 13cm
–Alcohol based colors for resin
–Resin Obsession super clear resin
–Alumilite Metallic Powder Gold
–Gloves, mixing cups and stirring utensils
-Assorted clip art and ephemera
1. Mix up a batch of super clear resin and pour some into the mold.
2. Add alcohol inks.
3. Sprinkle with gold metallic powder.
4. Let cure for 24 hours.
5. Once cured, add embellishments to the cover.
Book Cover Ideas #5
1. Mix super clear resin, then pour into the mold. Let it cure for 24 hours.
2. Print an image onto Clear Computer Grafix. Cut it down to the same size as the inside of the mold. Remove backing and place on cured resin. Burnish it and make sure it is entirely flat.
3. Mix up another batch of clear resin, add transparent pigment, and mix thoroughly. Pour it into the mold. Let cure for 24 hours.
Book Cover Ideas #5 1/2
1. Using the leftover orange resin from book cover #5, I added Alumilite gold metallic powder and re-coated a book cover I didn’t like.
Watch my exact techniques to see how I made all 6 book cover ideas.
Which one is your favorite?
Ready to dive deep into resin jewelry making and resin crafting?
Then you will want to get your copy of Resin Jewelry Making. The Amazon best-seller takes beginner artists from confused to confident with resin in only a few short hours. It’s the book I wish I had when I started creating with resin.
Originally written by Cat Kerr
Unpublished Blog Posts of Resin Obsession, LLC © 2022 Resin Obsession, LLC